Stature of Education
Our lives,with all its ups and downs, stories of all kinds, whether sweet or bitter, is full of opportunities to evolve as human beings. Some of the most endearing forms of being a human being, the the sense of being fruitful, a sense honor and self-satisfaction and a sense of belonging to a healthy community.The quality of people’s lives is undeniable linked with the society’s awareness of their human rights. knowledge and awareness are prerequisites of our demand for equality and the preservation of our rights and freedoms. Our world has a long way to go to truly understand and recognize all human rights, and realize that the violations of human rights goes hand and hand an parallel to the evolution and growth of social maladies worldwide. The rights of each member of the society, illuminates the human rights of all. Therefor, each and every member of the society must first become aware of their rights, and subsequently demand their government and society to recognize and respect those rights, fight for their rights and prevent power hungry entities to violate these rights.
Life skills are skills which empower the individual’s social and mental abilities and allow the individual to be better equipped with life’s struggles and pains and prevent him/her to fall prey to social maladies. These skills are skills that parents should teach their offsprings by learning the art of parenting so that they could informatively protect their children during the sensitive growing years with regard to social maladies.
Learning knows no gender, age, rank, religious, political or cultural boundaries. It is never too late to wake up, to learn, to begin, to change and to evolve. It is our brain and our vision which limits our abilities due to lack of awareness and knowledge. We at Ayeneh Foundation believe that we can change our world by changing our vision.
Options for learning life skills:
- Educational books and handouts regarding the nature of all social maladies
- The use of animation and art to educate children
- The creation of educational documentaries to stimulate and educate the society’s understanding
- The preparation of educational articles which are put together by nonprofit organizations and printed in the media on a regular and continuous manner
- The creation of educational radio and television programs with regard to social maladies
- The organization of educational seminars , conferences and workshops with the assistance of specialist and friends of recovery from all social maladies
- The presentation of educational programs at the level of teaching institutions.
The WHO has presented the 10 life skills which each and every individual should attain in order to live a health and prosperous life as follows:
Self-awareness is the understanding of one’s individual needs, entitles the personal abilities . It is the . understanding of one’s weaknesses and shortcomings. It is the consciousness of the true self. With the help of self awareness, we can better understand our emotional needs and therefore enjoy a healthier public relations
Compassion means to recognize the suffering of others regardless of one’s own circumstances. Compassion allows us to respect and embrace other individuals who may be different in many ways from us. Compassion improves social relations and allows an environment where support and kindness towards others becomes an inherent trait in the society.
This is the balance between having personal beliefs and qualities and the capability of understanding, learning and sharing other visions and beliefs, while all along being able to ask for help and guidance when needed.
To create human relations requires a healthy and positive relations among the members of the society. This is how friendly relations can take root among individuals which plays a vital role in the health and prosperity of the health of the society as a whole.
This ability allows the individual to have a better outcome in his capability to make difficult decisions in life. If children and young adults can learn how to make healthy and logical decisions and evaluate the different aspects of any decision, they will certainly attain healthier stature in the society.
This ability will allow the individual to have better control in solving his/her problems in life. If life’s problems remain unsolved, they create emotional stress and therefore negatively affect the physical health of the individual.
This ability can play a very important role in every aspect of life. When one is faced with a problem, he/she can better solve the problem with a creative mind. Furthermore when someone has to make an important decision in life, a creative thinking will open the doors to more solutions and thus make the decision making easier. Even if there is no need to solve a problem or make an important decision, creative thinking will allow the individual to be more resilient in his/her daily life.
Critical thinking, is the ability to analyze information and experiences. Teaching this ability to the young generation will empower them so that they can stand up to peer pressure, to analyze values and evaluate the realities and avoid falling prey to social maladies
Problem Solving Ability:
This ability will allow the individual to handle his/her changing moods and the effect of these changes on their behavior and thus learn how to control and maneuver them. If the various emotions, such as sadness, anger or anxiety is not treated properly it can have a negative impact on the physical and mental state of the person and cause negative consequences of another person’s life.
Ability to Cope with Stress:
This includes the understanding of the levels of stress and its affect on the individual. Understanding the roots of stress and its side effects on the individual will allow the individual to reduce the negative effects of stress by controlling their behavior and responses.
Components of Life Skills
- being aware of your own abilities
- being aware of your shortcomings
- having a realistic image of yourself
- being aware of your rights and responsibilities
- understanding the values of life
- motivation for recognition
- verbal and nonverbal effective communication
- being assertive
- ability to communicate
- ability to refuse
- overcoming shyness
- ability to listen
- liking other people
- tolerance of others
- Interpersonal behavior associated with less aggression
- being more likable and finding friends
- respecting others
- cooperation and collaboration
- group trust
- Identifying appropriate interpersonal boundaries
- finding friends
- initiate and end communication
Problem Solving Skills:
- identifying problems and meticulous evaluation of the roots
- seeking help
- Compromise (for conflict resolution)
- Finding resources to solve the problems
- Identify common solutions for the community
- positive thinking
- active learning, searching for new information
- self expression
- diagnosing the choices upon which you make a decision
- diagnosing new solutions to solve the problems
Skills to cope with emotions:
- understanding one’s emotions as well as the emotions of others
- Emotional connection with feelings, thinking and behavior
- Coping with frustration, anger, impatience, fear and anxiety
- dealing with other people’s intense emotions
Decision Making Skills:
- taking educated decisions based upon one’s knowledge of the realities
- decision making based upon the evaluation of the specific circumstances
- setting logical and practical goals
- Plan and take responsibility for their actions
- being ready to change one’s decisions to adapt to new situations
Critical thinking Skills:
- Perceived social and cultural influences on values, attitudes and behavior
- being aware of inequalities, prejudice and injustice
- being aware of the fact that people just do not always tell the truth
- Awareness of the role and importance of a responsible citizen
- Acceptance of situations that can not be changed
- Finding coping strategies for difficult situations
- Dealing with problems without resorting to drug abuse
- Remaining calm under pressure
- adjusting time